ME!

ME!
Holding my "before" favorite shirt after losing 125 pounds on my journey to better health.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cheerleaders.

No man (or woman) is an island. A very important part of my Journey were the people who I like to call my cheerleaders. You know the family and friends who give you the encouragement to keep going. The journey of personal health is just that, personal. I can't do it for you and you can't do it for anyone else. It is just you doing it for you. But there can be a lot of support and guidance given from many cheerleaders along the way. It might just be a smile saying I am glad to see you or it can be a "Oh my gosh you look great." It can be a phone call asking you to go on a walk or you making that call to someone else. This is a hard journey and I needed all the help I could get along the way. I asked questions and tried new foods, classes, and exercise routines. I did computer research on nutrition and printed off training guides to get me ready to be able to build up and endure walking 2 Half Marathons last year. (More about this in a later post.) I learned about clothing and shoes that would help me to feel more comfortable in my movement. Did you know that a good pair of shoes is good for about 500 miles? I didn't know that. There are clothes that can keep you warm, and don't show the sweat. I would ask about different things at the gym. About protein and resistance to build muscles and aerobic exercise to get my heart rate up. About interval training and core strength. All these things I had never though about and some never even heard could help me. I would then come home and research to make sure that what I heard was correct and safe. I have never been made to feel like I was dumb for  asking these questions. But I always check it out. There are some people that can become a little extreme in training etc. and I guard my new found health like a big bag of million dollar bills and I will not risk doing something that could send me be down that dark path again. I try to be a cheerleaders for others as I know how much it has helped me. If you are struggling with someone who is not to great at giving support find someone who is.  Be proud of your progress. Share your accomplishments. I am not talking about weight loss I am talking about walking a little farther, swimming one more lap, being able to dance through 1 song. Lifting a small weight through a whole set of commercials on TV, or making a better choice in the way you eat. You will be surprised at how proud of you the cheerleaders in your life will be. And how proud you will be of those that you cheer on in their journey of life. So Okay cheerleaders let's GO!!!! Give me an H. Give me an E. Give me a A. Give me a L. Give me a T.  Give me an H. What does it spell?   HEALTH.

No comments:

Post a Comment