ME!

ME!
Holding my "before" favorite shirt after losing 125 pounds on my journey to better health.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Joyful movement

I live by a wonderful track that is open for community use. One day I was sitting on my porch soaking up the sun when three large vans pulled into the track parking lot. Slowly, carefully, with  assistance a group of special needs adults climbed out of the vans. One van had a wheelchair lift and a young man was helping several people out that were in wheelchairs. I could see that many of them required a lot of assistance and was so pleased to see how the young people who were with them helped with many words of love and encouragement. One man climbed slowly out of a van and was very close to loosing his balance on the slanted parking lot when one of the assistants grabbed hold of his arm steadied him and with a hug sent him on his way. There were about 20 total that had come to the track to have a walk. Some had to be lead by the hand, use walkers, wheelchairs, and canes. The group went in slowly and then something amazing happened. I could hear laughing and cheers of glee as one by one they each took a turn walking across the finish line at the track.  They had not even began their walk but were already celebrating the joy that they were there and could move One girl was skipping and jumping and the others began clapping for her. I could feel the love and joy coming from them even at my observer distance.   I sat there and let the tears run down my face for the kindness of the assistants but especially for that group of joyful celebrating people who had once again taught me that even the simplest things that I can do should be cause for great celebration.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing that story, Laurel. So often we focus too much on what we can't quite do or what we wish we could do. And we are missing out on the celebration of what we CAN do.

    I had a fall about a year ago and my healing is not quite complete. It's easy to get frustrated at a perceived lack of progress, but I have to remember how far I've come and what a miracle that is. Thank you for reminding me to fix my perspective in the direction of gratitude. I'm saving your words in my "inspirational quotes" file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is bad about your fall. I think I get way to impatient with myself too. Keep working and it and be proud of what you have done.

      Delete