ME!

ME!
Holding my "before" favorite shirt after losing 125 pounds on my journey to better health.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My diet (healthy eating)

 My very first action for beginning to eat healthy was to get Very Angry. I walked out of the Dr.'s office with diabetic medication, blood pressure medication, and a steroid  inhaler for my asthma.  I had spent thousands of dollars and over a year of my time trying to recover from the bucket of medications I took before I went to the wellness center( a softer word for rehab.)  I bawled and carried on for a couple of days before I could convince myself to find out what and how I could change my situation. Well everything I read said DIET AND EXERCISE!  I just didn't think I could do that. But I had to do something.  I researched the diet that is recommended for diabetics and decided to give it a try. It is a low carbohydrate well balanced diet. I have to confess I had not given carbohydrates much thought.  I had to give up some of my favorite comfort foods because they all contained about a gazillion carbohydrates. I decided to give it a try for a couple of weeks. I  did not follow it perfectly.  I just decided to try one thing as an experiment. I gave up all white starchy foods. Bread, rice, pasta, potato, sugar, and flour.  It was hard but after a couple of weeks my blood sugars began to lower, I felt a little better and I had lost some weight. I still limit white from my diet. Notice I said limit. I still have a little on occasion but crave, yes I said crave whole grains now. I slowly lost about 55 pounds over a year that way. Off all three medications by then. WhooHoo!!!!  After that first loss I got stuck. Nothing happened on the scale for about 8 months. I decided I needed to shake things up a little and so joined Weight Watchers this past July. I could do it on line but I knew if I had to go weigh at a meeting I would make myself follow the plan. When I got going I was surprised(not really) to find that I had slowly began eating more and some of my favorite treats again. I was not being honest with myself and had to admit I was cheating myself. I have done really well with the Weight Watchers plan this time.(notice I said this time)  I follow their plan carefully but I always look for foods that have the lowest carbs. I did try it online with small success. I also tried it about 5 years ago and lost but gained it all back and more. I was just not ready for the life style change that I needed to make. As of today I have lost 115 lbs. I feel so much better both mentally and physically. I know that I need to keep this weight off and it is going to be an ongoing challenge in my life. That is the main reason I am doing this blog for your support to keep me on my journey of health. 

1 comment:

  1. I have heard a lot about cutting out the white carbs. I'm going to try making a few substitutions and see what happens. Thanks for including us in this!

    ReplyDelete